Glossary of terms A
- abdominal – related or near abdomen
- abdominal-obesity tummy fat or fat in the belly.
- acanthosis – darkness and or thickening of the prickle-cell layer of the skin in the neck, and other areas indicative of insulin resistance
- adipex. Adipex is the brand name for the popular prescription weight loss medication called Phentermine hydrochloride
- advanced-sleep-phase-syndrome. ASPS, is a circadian rhythm disturbance where a person goes to sleep much earlier than desired such as going to sleep at 7 PM instead of the much later sleep time for most. This normally happens in the elderly as opposed to teenagers who tend to get delayed sleep phase syndrome.
- aerobic – depending on free oxygen or air
- aerobic exercise – exercise that increases the need for oxygen
- aloe vera – it is a short-stemmed plant with thick leaves with soothing mucilaginous juice- native to Mediterranean region- grown widely in tropics and as houseplants. Aloe vera juice is considered healthy with anti0xidants and other health benefits.
- anorexia – also called anorxia nervosa, it is an eating disorder due to loss of appetite
- antidepressant – any medication used in the treatment of depression
- anxiety – excessive concern or worry, an emotion that is experienced in anticipation of some perceived or real misfortune
- anxiety disorder is – a state of anxiety occurring in a variety of mental disorders
- apnea – transient cessation of respiration, see sleep apnea.
Glossary of terms – B
- behavior therapy – refers to a type of psychotherapy that seeks to extinguish or inhibit abnormal or maladaptive behavior by reinforcing desired behavior and extinguishing undesired behavior
- body mass index – Also called BMI, it is a measure of how much weight a person has relative to their height measured with a mathematical formula that takes the weight of a person in kilograms divided by height in meters square. The normal BMI is between 18-25, over weight is 25-30, and obesity is defined as a BMI of over 30.
- botox – Trade name Botox, is a neurotoxin that is used clinically in small quantities to treat strabismus and facial spasms and other neurological disorders characterized by abnormal muscle contractions- is also used by cosmetic surgeons to smooth frown lines and wrinkles temporarily
- bronx – a borough of New York City. See Bronx weight loss. brooklyn – a borough of New York City. See sleep center and weight loss in Brooklyn
Glossary of terms C
- calorie – unit of heat defined as the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree centigrade at atmospheric pressure
- cellulite – lumpy deposits of body fat especially on women’s thighs etc.
- cosmetic – serving an aesthetic purpose in enhancing the beauty of the body
- Glossary of terms – D
- detox – reduce toxins, also used in the treatment for alcohol or drug dependence
- diet – a term used to indicate restricting food intake either in quantity or type of food, usually for a specific purpose such as weight loss, religion, belief, or custom.
- dieting – is the act of restricting the food intake.
Glossary of terms – E
- eat – eat a meal- take a meal
- ephedra – is a leafless desert shrub having scalelike leaves and reddish fleshy seeds
- ephedrine – is a white odorless powdered or crystalline alkaloid from plants of the genus Ephedra
- exercise – physically exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fi
- facial – anything to do with the face. Usually used in the context of aesthetic treatments such as in getting a facial done.
- fasting – noun abstaining from food
- fat – being chubby or having excess adipose tissue in the body
- fatigue – feeling tired
- fatty – being heavy as a person with excess adipose tissue, or being a rotund individual
- fatty liver – excess accumulation of certain fats (triglycerides) in the liver- can be caused by alcoholic cirrhosis or pregnancy or exposure to certain toxins
- FDA – Food and Drug Administration, a Department of Health and Human Services established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products
- fitness – the condition of being suitable or fit, maintaining physical fitness through exercise
- food – any substance that can be metabolized by an organism to give energy and build tissue
Glossary of terms G
- gastric – relating to or involving the stomach glossary – an alphabetical list of technical terms in some specialized field of knowledge- usually published as an appendix to a text on that field glucophage – an antidiabetic drug (trade name Glucophage) prescribed to treat type II diabetes gonadotropin – hormone secreted by the anterior pituitary gland and placenta- stimulates the gonads and controls reproductive activity grapefruit – large yellow fruit with somewhat acid juicy pulp- usual serving consists of a half – citrus tree bearing large round edible fruit having a thick yellow rind and juicy somewhat acid pulp greens – any of various leafy plants or their leaves and stems eaten as vegetables
Glossary of terms H
- hcg – Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, a substance produced early in pregnancy by the placenta- detection in the urine and serum is the basis for one kind of pregnancy test health – the general condition of body and mind – a healthy state of wellbeing free from disease healthy – having or indicating good health in body or mind- free from infirmity or disease insulin – a hormone secreted by the isles of Langerhans in the pancreas that regulates storage of glycogen in the liver and accelerates oxidation of sugar iv – administration of nutrients through a vein
Glossary of terms J-R
- juicing – the practice of getting the liquid part that can be extracted from plant or animal tissue, usually vegetables, leaves, fruit, and other health foods
- laser – is an acronym for light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation– an optical device that produces an intense monochromatic beam of coherent light laxative – stimulating evacuation of feces, a mild cathartic LCD – Low Calorie Diets. Also see VLCD or Very Low Calorie Diets. lose weight – verb take off weight lunch – a midday meal
- manhattan – one of the five boroughs of New York City menopause – the time in a woman’s life in which the menstrual cycle ends metabolic – relating to metabolism metabolism – the organic processes that are necessary for life metformin – an antidiabetic drug (trade name Glucophage) prescribed to treat type II diabetes migraine – a severe recurring vascular headache- occurs more frequently in women than men
- narcolepsy – a sleep disorder characterized by sudden and uncontrollable episodes of deep sleep nutrition – the scientific study of food and drink
- obesity – more than average fatness, usually a body mass index that is 30 or over. ovarian – of or involving the ovaries overweight – usually describes a large person who is fat with a body mass index that is between 25-29.9. Above 30 BMI is considered obese.
- pa – shortcut for pennsylvania, a mid-Atlantic state- one of the original 13 colonies pennsylvania – Mid-Atlantic state- one of the original 13 colonies philadelphia – the largest city in Pennsylvania- located in the southeastern part of the state on the Delaware river- site of Independence Hall where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed- site of the University of Pennsylvania physician – a licensed medical practitioner
- queens – a borough of New York City
- recipe – directions for making something ritalin – central nervous system stimulant (trade name Ritalin) used in the treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness in patients with narcolepsy in adults and attention deficit disorder in children
Glossary of terms S-Z
- skin – an outer surface (usually thin) sleep – a natural and periodic state of rest during which consciousness of the world is suspended sleep apnea – apnea that occurs during sleep
- spa – a place of business with equipment and facilities for exercising and improving physical fitness
- starvation – the demonstration of denying of nourishment or exposing to starvation
- – a condition of outrageous craving coming about because of absence of fundamental supplements over a drawn out period
- disorder – an example of side effects demonstrative of some ailment
- tapeworm – ribbonlike flatworms that are parasitic in the digestion tracts of people and different vertebrates
- tea – a light midafternoon dinner of tea and sandwiches or cakes
- thyroid – suggestive of a thyroid issue, of or identifying with the thyroid organ
- coach – one who trains different people or creatures, utilized with regards to wellness mentor
- treadmill – a gadget utilized for practice comprising of a perpetual belt on which an individual can walk or run without changing spot
- unfortunate – not in or showing great wellbeing in body or psyche or detrimental to wellbeing
- veggie lover – a severe vegan somebody who eats no creature or dairy items by any stretch of the imagination
- vegetarian – eater of foods grown from the ground and nuts-somebody who eats no meat or fish or (frequently) any creature items
- vinegar – harsh tasting fluid delivered for the most part by oxidation of the liquor in wine or juice and utilized as a topping or nourishment additive
- nutrient – any of a gathering of natural substances basic in little amounts to ordinary digestion
- walking – close enough to be strolled to
- watermelon – large elliptical or roundish melon with a hard green skin and sweet watery red or every so often yellowish mash
- woman – n grown-up female individual (instead of a man)
- workout – the action of applying your muscles in different manners to stay in shape
- wrinkle – a sharp strategy for accomplishing something (particularly something new and unique)
- yoga – a arrangement of activities rehearsed as a feature of the Hindu order to advance control of the body and brain
- zoloft – a particular serotonin reuptake inhibitor regularly endorsed as an energizer (exchange name Zoloft)
You must be logged in to post a comment.