Naltrexone-bupropion (Contrave) use
Approved for adults who are overweight with a body mass index of over 27 with at least one weight related condition or are obese with a body mass index of over 30.
How does contrave work?
Contrave is a mixture of two medications: naltrexone, which is used to treat alcohol and drug dependence, and bupropion, which is used to treat depression or help people quit smoking.
May make you feel less hungry or full sooner.
Contraindications for Contrave
- Do not use if you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, seizures or a history of anorexia or bulimia nervosa.
- Do not use if you are dependent on opioid pain medications or withdrawing from drugs or alcohol.
- Do not use if you are taking bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban).
MAY INCREASE SUICIDAL THOUGHTS OR ACTIONS.
Side effects of Contrave
- dry mouth
- increased blood pressure
- increased heart rate
- liver damage
- Risk of opioid overdose
- Sudden opioid withdrawal
- Severe allergic reactions
- Increases in blood pressure or heart rate.
- Liver damage or hepatitis
- Manic episodes
- Visual problems
- Increased risk of low blood sugar